Explore this page for information on MenCare’s key achievements, recent press, and bios of key MenCare leaders and experts.
Please contact us if you are a member of the press looking to learn more about MenCare’s impact or to interview an expert on issues related to fatherhood, caregiving, and engaging men and boys for gender equality.
For more information, email Alexa Hassink at email@example.com.
Key MenCare Achievements
- MenCare has grown from seven countries from in the campaign’s first year (2011) to a global initiative with over 40. Our global campaign activities and partner-led local and national campaigns complement each other and strengthen the worldwide visibility of MenCare as a whole.
- Our global MenCare films are a powerful tool to spread campaign’s message and goals. We’ve received over 25,000 online views of the films to date.
- The MenCare campaign has been highlighted in the media over 100 times since 2012. From the Huffington Post and the Guardian to the Jakarta Post and Open Democracy, a variety of news and media outlets have put a spotlight on our innovative work in to engage men as equitable, nonviolent fathers and caregivers.
- Our visibility has increased through participation at conference around the world – from the Clinton Global Initiative to TEDx Barcelona – where we reach and influence policy makers, thought leaders, and the media on issues ranging men’s engagement in prenatal health visits to paid parental leave policies.
- Through innovative programming, media campaigns, and advocacy, we estimate that MenCare has reached approximately 44 million people around the world.
MenCare Around the World
Gary Barker is President and CEO of Promundo. He has conducted extensive global research and program development around engaging men and boys in gender equality and violence prevention, and is a leading voice for the worldwide effort to establish positive, healthy dynamics between men and women. Gary is the co-founder of MenCare, a global campaign to promote men’s involvement as equitable, non-violent caregivers, and co-founder of MenEngage, a global alliance of more than 600 NGOs and UN agencies working toward gender equality. He coordinates IMAGES (the International Men and Gender Equality Survey), a pioneering multi-country survey of men’s attitudes and behaviors related to violence, fatherhood, and gender equality, among other themes. He is a member of the UN Secretary General’s Men’s Leaders Network and has been honored with an Ashoka Fellowship, a fellowship from the Open Society Institute, and the Vital Voices Solidarity Award. Gary earned a PhD in child and adolescent development from Loyola University in Chicago and a Master’s degree in Public Policy from Duke University.
Dean Peacock is Co-Founder and Executive Director of Sonke Gender Justice, MenCare’s co-coordinator. His work and activism over the last 25 years has focused on issues related to gender equality, gender-based violence, men and constructions of masculinities, HIV and AIDS, human rights, and social justice. He is also co-founder and co-chair of MenEngage, a global alliance with networks in over thirty countries across the world. In addition, he is an Ashoka Fellow and an Honorary Senior Lecturer at the University of Cape Town’s School of Public Health. Dean is a member of many advisory councils, including the United Nations Secretary General’s Network of Men Leaders formed to advise UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon on gender based violence prevention and of the Nobel Women’s Advisory Committee on ending sexual violence in conflict settings. He has a Bachelors with Honours in Development Studies from UC Berkeley, and a Masters Degree in Social Welfare from San Francisco State University. He is a PhD candidate in the Politics Department at the University of Stellenbosch.
Tim Shand is a MenCare Global Co-Coordinator. He is the Vice President of Advocacy and Partnerships at Promundo. He has over a decade of experience providing leadership on programming, research, and advocacy to advance gender equality and gender justice, particularly in the area of engaging men in sexual and reproductive health and rights. Prior to Promundo, Tim worked at Georgetown University’s Institute for Reproductive Health as the Deputy and Technical Director of a large USAID-funded project focusing on social norm change to promote adolescent well-being. Tim has previously served as Director of International Programs for the South African NGO, Sonke Gender Justice, and has also worked with the International Planned Parenthood Federation and the World Health Organization. He has published and spoken widely on issues of gender equality and sexual and reproductive health and rights. Tim holds a Master’s degree in Public Health from the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, and is currently completing his PhD at University College London’s Institute for Global Health.
Wessel van den Berg
Wessel van den Berg is a MenCare Global Co-Coordinator. He is the Child Rights and Positive Parenting portfolio manager at Sonke Gender Justice in Cape Town. In this capacity he supports Sonke’s work on children’s rights in the Africa region and globally. The portfolio includes the MenCare Fatherhood Campaign and advocacy for positive discipline towards the prohibition of physical and humiliating punishment in all settings. Wessel has worked within the social change environment on youth development, public health, gender transformation and sustainable development. He holds a Masters degree in Sustainable Development (Cum Laude) and is currently enrolled for a PhD in Sociology at the University of Stellenbosch. His PhD research focuses on the feasibility of paternity leave in South Africa.