Twenty representatives from civil society, government, and United Nations institutions came together to form a Peruvian national committee on fatherhood as part of the MenCare Campaign on August 4-5, 2015. This meeting, facilitated by representatives from the Red Peruana de Masculinidades, Aldeas Infantiles SOS, Promundo, and the MenEngage Alliance, aimed to strengthen collaboration across sectors and promote a shared plan of action for engaged fatherhood and gender equality. During these two days, participants:
- Presented their experiences on working with fathers;
- Learned about MenCare;
- Engaged in interactive sessions from Program P (a manual to engage men in maternal, newborn, and child health);
- Reflected on the importance of challenging unequal power dynamics at the household level;
- Brainstormed policy advocacy, media and communications, and community-based program implementation ideas for the campaign; and
- Developed an immediate plan of action to carry these ideas forward.
The Red Peruana de Masculinidades, Aldeas Infantiles SOS, SUMBI, Organización IPROMIF, and the Department of Family and Community (as part of the Peruvian Ministry of Women and Vulnerable Population) will coordinate the national committee.